If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away. ~ Henry David Thoreau







Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The past 30...

Okay. I have finally come to grips with the idea that tomorrow I will be 3-0. I know, it's just a number, 30 is the new 20, you are only as young as you feel, 30 is a piece of cake....blah, blah, blah. I have heard it all.

I have had my bouts of emotional responses (crying mostly upon hearing songs that talk about getting old, my children growing up and leaving, or being young...so pretty much every country song), deep thinking about the past/future (oh my god, is that a gray hair?! and when did my rear end start to get that 'look'?!, oh no...do I sound like my mother???) , I have been up and down processing my way through this idea....30. It's really not that big of a deal, right? 

I have spent some time thinking about the past 30 years...and the next 30. I decided to make a list of things that I have learned over the last 30 years and things I want to accomplish in the next 30. I will save the goals for the next 30 for another blog. So what have I learned??? Here goes nothing....

What I have learned:

*money doesn’t grow on trees
*true love is more work than fantasy
*the more work you put into true love...the more fantasy you can have
*saying “yes ma’am/sir”, “thank you”, and “please” really does matter
*the things that are worth the most, require the most work
*some things are better left unsaid
*when you speak to someone about business, make sure you write down the name/time/and number of the person you spoke with
*routine maintenance is a MUST for every new toy you own
*pay extra for the extended warranty
*be extra kind
*you can say just about anything (and get away with it) when you smile
*walking away from an unnecessary argument is a sign of maturity
*send hand written thank you cards, it still says so much
*saying “i love you” can’t wait--and its always worth it
*trust is earned
*trust can be lost
*family dinners are important
*the way you dress says a lot about you
*God’s voice gets quieter when you refuse to listen to it
*saying “I’m sorry” is necessary
*true friendship is a rare find
*Ladies: If your showing off your cleavage--cover your legs, if you are showing off your legs, cover your girls up...otherwise, you look like a hooker
*there really isn’t anything constructive to do out past 11 o’clock
*being comfortable being yourself takes time
*life really is short
*I’m not invincible
*make promises you can keep
*you will never understand the love of a parent, until you are one
*this too shall pass
*never resort to praying...try it first
*popularity is over-rated
• when possible, learn by observation in life...experience usually costs a lot more
* it really isn't all about me, actually it isn't about me at all

Over your years, what have you learned?? 

No comments:

Post a Comment