If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away. ~ Henry David Thoreau







Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Conversations with Chloe

Sometime ago, while riding in the car just me and Chloe, Chloe popped the question. Mommy, how do babies get in your tummy? She wasn't done...I mean, do you just pray and ask God and then he just puts a baby in your tummy, like magic? 


I wanted to throw up. Acting like this is a normal, everyday question I showed zero fear...No babe, it takes a man and a woman to make a baby....


Yeah Mommy, I know that. So do you just pray together? Does God put the baby in your tummy while your asleep? 


Okay...so this has conversation has the potential of confusing her for a lifetime. I had to bite the bullet...and just do it. (no pun intended) Practicing my "I am not shocked, this is a normal-part-of-growing-up question face".....

Me: No, not exactly, God designed our bodies to fit together to make a baby. 
Chloe: umm...what parts exactly? 
Me: well, your private parts....
Chloe: She interrupted me....okay, that's enough. That sounds gross and complicated. (I thought..actually, it can be...)


That was it. She moved on. Thank God!

Yesterday, while cleaning the playroom she revisited the conversation simultaneously asking questions and working it out in her mind.....Mommy, how does it work to make a baby? If it takes a husband and wife to make a baby, how come I have friends that only have a mommy? How did their mommy make them? And Mommy...you just fit together and then you make a baby--so mommy's and daddy say I want a baby and that's what they do? So is that what you and daddy did to make me and Ava? You only did that twice right


I am pretty sure I stopped breathing.

Me: um, well babe...you asked a lot of questions, let's see if we can answer each of them....
Chloe: Mommy? 
Me: Yes, love? (inside I was thinking: act normal, act normal, act normal)
Chloe: How come Pluto isn't a planet anymore? 



Okay parents, what conversations have you had with your kids that have stopped you in your tracks? I would love to know how you answered these questions! 



1 comment:

  1. lol. I love this ever so much! And it just goes to show that you're an amazing mother :) <3

    ReplyDelete